logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 03:43:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Savage Vendetta  (Read 3125 times)
mikey123abc

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »

Hi everyone.
Last year I bought an old Savage plywood clinker from the 60's. The previous owner told me the model of the boat is 'Vendetta'.
I've been scouring the web since, to find a picture of what the boat would have originally looked like. I've not had any luck finding pictures so far, nor even any references to a Savage boat called 'Vendetta', so I was beginning to doubt that was what I had. However, in another thread in this forum, there is a reference to a Savage Vendetta. So now I know that probably is what my boat is...if you know what I mean.
As i've been dismantling the boat for restoration, I can see it ins't in original form, so I'd really like to know what the original form was. Currently it has a Holden 308 inboard, with a 2 stage Hamilton jet on the back. That definitely isnt original.
If anyone can help me out here i'd really appreciate it.
I'll upload a photo of the boat, as soon as I figure out how.
thanks
Mike
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »

Welcome Mike. There is a pic of an early Savage clinker outboard on the Board. http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=134.0  It's  one in Melbourne some years ago on the Mornington Peninsular. Looking forward to the Pic.
Chair
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:14:54 PM by Chair » Logged
mikey123abc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »

Hi, and thanks for the reply. The hull shape does look very similar to mine, although a little shorter. Mine is an inboard (i've just realised this board is meant for outboard boats). I guess it's possible that mine was originally an outboard also. Anyway, I see plenty of discussion about Savage boats, which I havent seen on any other sites, so hopfully someone has some info about the Savage Vendetta.

* SavageVendetta_1_200.JPG (63.77 KB, 850x571 - viewed 257 times.)
mikey123abc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »

a couple more photos

* SavageVendetta01_small_200.JPG (55.72 KB, 850x571 - viewed 250 times.)

* SavageVendetta_samll_300.JPG (61.9 KB, 850x571 - viewed 269 times.)
mikey123abc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »

Hi everyone.

I just found a document on the web, which contains a photograph of a Savage Vendetta. Unfortunately, it clouds the question of what my boat originally looked like, even more. It shows a fully open deck runabout with an outboard motor. This is absolutely nothing like my boat, although the hull does look the same.
Page 9 of this document (link below) shows a Vendetta, constructed by JJ Savage.

http://www.ewp.asn.au/library/nostalgia/plywood_and_plywood_products_1962.pdf

any comments from the experts ?
thanks
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:01:49 PM »

Mike, I'm sure Gillian Savage will be able to comment on this hull as she is one of our members and checkes in now and then.  I love the link and all the plywood hype, great stuff. As an inboard you are excused because it's a Savage.
Chair
Nev
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »

Just as I am excused for my cab jobbie not being a runabout. I will get the ultimate AU runabout but not just yet.  U guys on the bad  coast are spoilt fer choices.
Nev Tongue
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »

David and Mike,

I'm afraid I'm unable to help with that one.  I don't have any material at all really about Savage wooden runabouts.

I'll let you know if anything comes my way.

Cheers

Gillian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: