logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2018, 10:31:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another boat info required please  (Read 14386 times)
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »

Hey Mercman,

I hate to throw a spanner in your very knowledgable works...but are you familiar with the 'Bosun Runabout'?  Same length and beam as the Viva, a lighter weight version that does not have that slight outward 'fold' on the stern of the hull that Marcel referred to.

The 67 brochure recommends 20 - 50 hp for the Bosun

Not much grey matter for me...but I have brochures!

Cheers

Gillian
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »

Hi Gillian,
Ah Ha!
I have never heard of a Bosun that I recall Huh. (I must have lead a very sheltered life Wink)
Youv'e just hepled me with two things about Marcel's boat I was mulling over when I first saw it.
I did notice the ever farmiliar "fold" missing, as seen in the Pursuit, Viva & Tasman. . I put that down to a modification on a later model Viva that perhaps I hadn't seen before. Plus, I also noticed a second chine line at the bow. I simply put that down to the same thing..

Did the Bosun have a different dash to the Viva? Was the Bosun marketed as a poor mans Viva (so to speak)?

Thanks so much for the clarification, as I said in an earlier post " I'm no guru"
It's just my hobbie. Cheesy

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »

Electra looks a fine boat indeed.
115mercury will make it fly!
I have a very similair size and looking runnabout (Canadian made Sunray, 4.88mtr runnabout) with a 50HP Jhonno pushing it to 30MP/H!

Boat as advertised when purchased;

And as now being used by me.

If anybody has any info on Canadian made "Sunray inc." boats, I would like to learn more.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:15:04 AM by Glastronomic » Logged
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 01:16:07 AM »

Sunray was a name owned by Princefib inc.
in Canada Quebec.
I would love to know the subname given by Princefab of my boat.
And, I now have 10 posts
marsattack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 07:50:11 AM »

To Chair:
Red and white is good for me although now that you mention about the gelcoat i will look into that as the paint is pretty ggod other than the fading!!

now to the Id of the boat, again thank all,
lol ,a poor man's boat?Huh I still (40 years later) cant afford anything bigger than the so called "Bosum"!!!lol
Thank you Gillian for chiming in, I saw the fold on the rear but I left it at a different  model build, like Mercman.
So now i have afew questions please?
Is it possible to buy a brochure or get a copy?
Are you able to identify with the serial number 6271 the year or any other info.
And lastly and more important , us this boat a more "rare" savage hull?
I dont think the wife would let me keep both so one will have to go! but I may be able to convince her in trying to restore it.
If I was able to get some pics of the inside or even acquire any badging for this .....would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone else here owns one of these?

So again guys and gals thank you for your constant help.
Marcel
marsattack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 07:53:36 AM »

I just did a quick search on the Net for savage Bosun and nothing at all came up.
Is there another way of searching???
Marcel
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:57:50 AM by marsattack » Logged
marsattack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »

ok I found out the a "Bosun" is a sailor that owrks on the ship deck! Sad
maybe Savage only made one of these!!lol
Mars
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »

This is where the old Boat Dealers Guide comes in handy.
It only goes back to 1964. The Bosun was in production then, when it was first made I do not know.
12' 2" long.
Beam 5'
HP range 25-50.
This part is interesting. In 1965 the length increased to 12'9" and beam to 5'4".
Last sales were in 1967
It says it was also know as "Skipper"

Mark S.
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »

Then you'd be forgiven calling it "Minnow"
Gilligan  Grin
Electra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »

Marsattack,

A 'badnewsattack'...The bosun was marketed as Mercman suggested as the 'economy' option and 'ideal for the newcomer to boating'...sort of like a Vespa compared to a Ducati. (Now I'm just being cruel...I'll leave that to Chair!)  It was around for a few years - I don't have a 63 brochure, but I have evidence of it from '64 until '67 and I think it was pretty popular, so the rarity angle might be a problem for you.

I've scanned the '67 brochure entry.  Afraid I cannot help with serial numbers, decals, emblems etc.  No pics of dash either

Mercman,

You say you're no guru, but with Dad up in the great boatyard in the sky, I reckon you are one of the remaining few with the ability to recognise so many models.  National living treasure!

Gillian

* 67 brochure Bosun.jpg (47.4 KB, 640x416 - viewed 490 times.)
marsattack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »

Thank you very much Gillian!
Awesome to have this and know a bit more about this boat.
Wish i could contribute as much as you all can to this forum but unfortunate my forte is in the house building game, however I would be more than willing to show updates and build ups on both boats if anyone is interested?
It is a very cool brochure and has a lot of info that can be stamped back on the ID plate which for some reason it was blank.
I also cannot believe this boat is over 40 years old! would imagine to have a lot of wear and tear, and it has come back from upper NSW to Vic.

Not sure whether to upload pics here or is this an ID tag on the forum only, if its not , please change.
This week the upper deck gets oven baked, should be back friday.
I have not yet prepared the hull, but the inside has a  fully rebuilt floor ,stringers and seat supports.
I have sprayed the inside with panel flex.
Will definetly post pics here on the coming weekend and hopefully have the electra also.
Again , thank you ALL for your help.
Marcel
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »

A nice little hull. Post away Marcel
Chair
marsattack

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »

Hi guys, was busy cleaning up my Electra.
Now if I should start a new thread , please advise.
I picked up the Electra and from what I can see its all original, including the original fitted motor, or at least they did an incredible job of fitting it second time around.
Seats and bimini are very good, and probably original too.
The outer shell seems to be in a very good condition,
I did try the sanding and re buffing which came out a treat , thank you for the tip!
Would love to hear your opinions.

The motor however does not run, apparently it started with a impellor issue which I have a new one in box(lol)
but the main rod that dismantles the engine could not be taken out. They cut a hole on the side of the case to confirm , but all the parts including the working hydraulics.
I am probably going to sell this , so i was wondering what would this be worth as is??

The little hull was not finished so i have no pics of that!

Thank you
Marcel

Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »

Hoping you live in WA as I then would be very interested in your boat!
Glastronomic
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 10:21:04 AM »

Sydney Gumtree $3800 or there abouts!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: