logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2018, 07:55:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another boat info required please  (Read 13101 times)
marsattack

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »

Hi all!!!
New here and to boating!
did not realise that there was a forum dedicated to older style AND most important , contains most of the answers i have been asking for around a month now.
Thanks for all the info.
I have however bought this boat, the only id plate it has is a little alloy black and silver stating Savage fiberglass company, and a serial number of 6271
I do not know which model it is , it measures just on 4 metres.
I had a look at the VIVA but it seems the VIVA has an extra line pertruding the hull at the rear of the boat where mine does not.
Any info would be greatly appreciated as i have an older style evinrude 115hp and think it may be a bit too big!!
here are the pics i have prior to stripping it.
Actually here is the EBAY link as since they were the photos on EBAY i cannot remove them, can take fresh ones

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280606036163&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

thanking you all in advance
Marcel
NSWSavageElectra
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:38:47 AM »

Looks like an Avalon to me, with the standard bench seats removed and a set of back to backs fitted...... but I am not an expert, especially on Avalons
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:16:45 AM »

It's a Savage Viva.
See http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=871.msg5066#msg5066
and http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=516.0

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
NSWSavageElectra
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »

I stand corrected. Embarrassed As I said, I am by no means an expert. I always though the Viva was 12 foot and the Avalon was 14 foot, hence I guessed incorrectly that this 14 footer must have been Avalon. I will now go back to my Electra, at least I know her a little bit better.......
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »

Not a bad comment indeed, but just thinking out loud at the moment..

Only the Viva, Pursuit and Tasman had that very distinct flared bow and same chine shape as this vessel in the pics.
It's not a Tasman, as they had a cabin.
It's not a Pursuit as they were a good 15' and the pic of the foredeck makes me think it's a Viva for sure. (even if that Advert didn't mention a length at all.)

Here is the clincher.. Marcel says he measured it at 4mtrs (that converts to 12' or there abouts, that I recall)
The advert says 14'. Well, everyone selling a boat seems to have a rubber rule these days. (it's a bit like fishing, isn't it)

How am I going so far?

MERCMAN.

NSWSavageElectra
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »

LOL...... I didn't do the math from the measurement, just went by the ad, but youre right about the rubber ruler. Nice work........ SOOOO glad I added the disclaimer on my first post! (Hope you didn't think I was trying to disprove or argue with your id, I was merely conveying how I arrived at mine)

BTW - Welcome to the board marsattack!  Cheesy. As you may have guessed, Mercman is one of our more knowledgeable members, whilst I am merely a hatchling.......

K
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »

I totally understood your earlier comment Kirk, no sweat.
All's cool Cool

I'm no guru, I'm just older than you. Therefore, there is more useless info on my hard drive (grey matter).
Sometimes the info' is harder to retrieve than other times.  Grin

Welcome from me too Marcel Cheesy

MERCMAN.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »

So Marcel, are you still going to stick a 115 on your 12 footer? Shocked
Chair (ps Welcome from me) 
marsattack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »

WOW!!!
It is very gratifying to come into this forum and hear the knowledge of you Gurus !!!
Thank you very much as ALL help is helpful.
So thank you all for your imput and response.
Yes I was dissapointed at first when i received the boat that it was not a 14 ft as stated , BUT the guy was so helpful that i overlooked the mistake and also loved the shape of the boat.
By chance i stumbled here and luckily found out a bit more about it.

I figured that someone here would either know or use a process of elimination to decipher the model.
Thank you all for your welcome cheerios!

I have since stripped the top paint as it was scratched and have 2 packed prep it for colour.
My original choice was an electra but could not find one at a right price......until today.
So as far as the 115hp that now reading some specs on the VIVA may be a little too big , bought the Electra that was on Ebay .
I will probably sell off the Viva and do up the electra .
The 115 should be ok on the Electra, I know i probably paid a little too much for the Viva but that was my bad as i should have found this forum first.

The electra is this one , should pick it up within this week, and any comments and or criticism is welcome.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120679747579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
DumHed
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:13:19 AM »

Usually boats bought on ebay turn out to be bigger than expected, rather than smaller!

It'd be good if people knew how to use a tape measure Smiley

Don't push me, push a push pop
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:43:08 AM »

Good choice the Electra. Is the Viva a long or short shaft? and is the 115 long? I suppose you will flog the Merc with the Viva if the Viva is for a long shaft. A good way to recoup some of your dollars
Chair
marsattack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »

the merc is beyond repair , may only be used for parts , however the hydraulic lift works just fine.
both transom i believe on both boats sits on about 20 " ,i may be corrected on this!lol
the 115hp fits both ,but i  am unsure the Viva could handle it.
After you guys ID the viva Jv marine said that although he had no specs on the Viva he personally thought it may be too much power over weight ratio.
The electra seems like a very nice and well taken care boat also, with absolutely no damage to body or paint apart from being a bit faded.
May ask here for paint schemes to do over the winter or something.
As I have  not much experience with boats in general , the electra is more ready to use than the viva.
Hence NOT spending anymore money.
Marcel
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 07:59:43 AM »

115hp on a Viva is not a good idea.

Here are the stats' from an earlier post by Mark S

Savage Viva
Length 12'9"         Beam 64"
HP range 18-65
First produced in 1966.
Deep V runaboat with screen, upholstered back to back seats and S/D well.
Available in 2 versions - standard known as "Sportsman" (1967/70), and "Super Sports" (1966/67). Last sales in 1970; then retail price $795.
And a Deluxe version with two tone deck and vinyl flooring; Retail price $859.

MERCMAN.

NSWSavageElectra
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »

I have 115hp Merc on my Electra, and it seems that most Electras I have looked at over the past 6 months (about 20 odd) have 115's hanging off them...... you can go bigger too if you want! do a forum search on the Electra and you will find copies of the original sales brochure and specs for motors etc. Also, Gillian Savage is a member on the board and has provided heaps of info in dating my hull, which appears to be one of the first, or at least a VERY early one (they were released in 1970).

Cheers!

K
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »

Quote "May ask here for paint schemes to do over the winter or something."

Your call here Marcel, White with red white trim never fails. but if your gelcote will polish up, I'd stick with original. I removed the name on my Electra. I used fine wet and dry and then polished the gelcote back to a lustre.

Chair

* electra marcel.jpg (18.88 KB, 341x176 - viewed 274 times.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:33:02 PM by Chair » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: