logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 04:40:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: tips for the restoration of a 1967 Model Mercury 3.9hp  (Read 5716 times)
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2005, 11:34:25 AM »

Hi All

I recently bought a 1967 Merc 39 (3.9hp), its not running and i am in the process of doing it up. I have taken off the lower unit (bit of a struggle as the shift lever was rusty) and am debating striping the gear box? It is stuck in forward (Not an Issue Really) but i have been getting a bit of grit out of the Gear box when flushing it out.  The gears rotate fine and i cant really feel any rough patch, I plan to use it as the Axillary on my Javelin so it wont be used often. What do you all think? is it a hard job to strip down the gear box? Any other tips and trick you know please post them for me as they will all help Greatly. Like i said its not running yet i haven't looked into why not too hard yet but will be getting into the Carb side soon. I Will Post an Old ad for it Below

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 11:42:58 AM by Javelin » Logged

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 11:44:04 AM »

The Ad for My Old little Merc

* 38_1.jpg (18.86 KB, 198x400 - viewed 969 times.)

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 01:08:35 PM »

Hello Mr Javelin.
Is the 3.9 the one we saw on ebay recently? Lovely motor and it's good to see you taking the effort to preserve it, but it's a shame you have to spend extra dollars

Gearboxes! Unless you are a mechanic, I'd stay away and get someone with the right tools to do it.

If you are happy to proceed, get yourself a Mercury workshop manual for starters. They are readily available at boat bookshops. You need special tools to dissassemble gearboxes and for a one off it's not worth it especially if parts are frozen on. Applying heat is a bad option.

Good luck maybe someone on our site may help you, but there is a good forum in the USA, Grubbs is one. They may help and give advise. Let us know how you went though. Keep us informed

Regards
David
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 04:52:51 PM »

Hey David

I bought it down here (tas) from a shop and knew it wasn't working, I wanted a project and it fits the era of my boat. I paid $90 for it so its a cheap toy to play with rather than my main motor!! but i would love to get it going. How much was the one on e bay??

Chris

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 04:09:47 PM »

Hi All

Well i have put the Motor back together after doing repairs and some Re Spray to the cowl. It runs like a dream and starts very easy BUT! the water tell tale wont Pee. There is air pressure coming out of it?? I have redone the water pump and the lower unit is instaled and i REALLY dont want to take it back off. Im thinking i have missed the water tube from the pump as it was a long way up the shaft and i couldnt see if they met. Any easy way of checking if they met without taking off the lower unit??

Ta
Chris

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 03:44:45 PM »

Hi Chris

The tell tale is only for that reason. If it isn't peeing it doesn't mean it isn't pumping. If it's blocked it won't pee, but it will still pump if the pump is working. Try an air hose into it. I once inserted a wire into it to clear a blockage.

David
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 09:09:06 PM »

Hi

Well all is now well with the little Motor (well almost), I re stripped the lower unit down and found i had missed the pipe, I then pulled the cylinder off the Base to trace the water cavity and found there is no tell tale as such, The air pressure i observed was the exhaust overflow but when running there is a small amount of water spatter coming out.

The Gear box is still leaking oil, I took it to a mechanic who tried for about 1 minute to get it off then said don't bother take it to the tip,
Obviously i didn't take that advice as the motor runs well apart from the oil leak! I will have to attempt this one myself. I am going to make up a tool to remove the lock nut sometime and go from there.

When i went fishing the other day we ran the little motor for about 15Min's trolling and it went like a dream (after being a girl doggie to start though Angry)

Will update you all again soon. Id love to hear any other projects?

Chris

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 07:49:32 PM »

Keep at it Chris

You are the only one who needs to justify your reasons.

Vintage is a great challange.

David

« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:43:05 AM by chairman » Logged
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »

Hi Javelin,
Nice little outboard worthy of saving. When undoing the bearing cage nut on the gearbox, be aware that some have left hand threads, so you may need to turn it clockwise to undo it. Before doing this be sure it's not just unburnt oil residue dripping out of the exhaust chamber.

Mark.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 01:27:30 PM »

Hello Javelin,
Re your letter 10/11/05 (I'm a little late) 1967 Merc 39. The model in your picture supplied (brochure) is actually a 1964 model. The '67 model has two thin red stripes on the cowl. This was just prior the introduction of the full blown, famous "Red Band" as they were known.-1968.
I actually had a 1964 Merc 39 when I was a kid, Dad sold it in the mid 80's. If you wish, I am happy to share with you the trick of starting a Merc 39 within 3 pulls from dead cold

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Javelin
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 06:20:41 PM »

Hi Mercman

Love to know the trick, I have been putting CRC in the carb to get it started quickly lately (My choke lever has stopped working and I'm yet to fix it).
I Cant recall if it has the thin red lines, but mine is the model that didn't have a stop button on the handle.

Thanks
Chris

Have Fun on the Water
Javelin
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »

Hi Chris.
  I'm so sorry I missed your reply, I hope you haven't been floating around the ocean somewhere waiting for ME to respond. If so, lets try and get you back to dry land.
   It is most important you get the choke lever operating correctly, ensure the choke "fan" is sitting dead flat against the carby when the choke lever is in the "on" position. If it is slightly bent it will certainly effect the efficiency of the choke and those little fellas love plenty of juice to get them going from cold.
For a cold start, check if in NEUTRAL, ensure the primer bulb is rock hard - then some, choke on full - of course,
throttle at just past START position. as soon as it fires put choke lever in off position.
   A Little tip, when starting any motor (mowers included) with a pull cord, don't just yank on the cord handle as hard as you can, as something will eventually break.
Simply grasp the handle with two hands, then slowly pull the cord out about an inch or two until you feel the "pauls" in the recoil mechanism locate on to the flywheel then give it a swift pull.
This method will reduce unnecessary stress on your cord, pauls and flywheel thus saving you time, money and frustration in time to come.
    Re gearbox.. Mark S is right, it may just be residue from exhaust. It is unlikely to be a box problem. What colour is the gearbox oil when you release the fill screw?
Residue tends to be almost black.
   If the problem turns out to be ultimately a leaky seal. It will possibly work out cheaper to change the oil more frequently than replacing the seal. After all, your little motor will only be used once  in a blue moon if it is to remain as an auxiliary for your Javelin.
   Tonight when I get home, I'll look up the plug type and setting for you. Bye the way, those motors never had a stop button on the end of the tiller. Although the later model 1968 4hp did come with a throttle friction knob on the end of the tiller. The only way to stop 'em was to choke 'em.

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 08:54:23 PM »

Hey Chris,
I have my Kiekhaefer Master Service Manual in front of me now. I'm unable to provide you with the correct plug and gap as well as breaker setting until you can determine if your motor has thin red stripes on the cowl or not. (see my post 08/11/06)
  Mercury changed all the ignition specifications for the 3.9hp in 1967. If you wish, just post a photo as I am able to accurately determine the year of the little fella from that.

MERCMAN.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: