logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 12:31:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pair of 1961 Merc 700 Short Shafts  (Read 34170 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »

Definitely has a thin coating of dried oil on everything under the cowls.

Just did a spark test and... nope... no spark on any of the leads/plugs.

About to do some Googling... but an thoughts on what to test next?

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »

Hi AJ,

Make sure you have voltage at the ignition coils+ when key on and cranking. Also the dual points in the distributor might need cleaning after sitting for that long.
I've had a quick look at a wiring diagram, looks like they use resistors in the ignition, so I would assume you should have about 9 volts at the coil with the key on.
If you have no voltage at the coil+, use a jumper wire (from solenoid live side) for the purpose of seeing if it starts, remember to disconnect it afterwards.

Mark S.
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2016, 06:03:42 PM »

HI Mark.

Layperson Q's:

1. To test the coils, where do I put the +/- of the meter?  + on the + side of coil, but do I put the - meter?
2. "jump from the solenoid +" but to where?  And then what, just ignition on at the key???

AJ

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »

Sorry Aaron, jumped the gun a bit.

It has a simple points ignition like an old car.

Start with the basics first. Turn the key on. Use volt test meter to check ignition coil primary voltage. Red meter lead on + terminal on coil (test one at a time). Black meter lead to earth. Should get a voltage reading of about 9 volts. With engine cranking should be about 12 volts. If there is voltage at the coils and none at the plugs, the points (2 sets) probably dirty or corroded on contacts. Remove distributor cap carefully and clean with fine emery paper. Retest for voltage at plug leads.

Try this first and see where you get.

Mark S.
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »

Thanks Mark,

Test done... I get 12.45V at both coils with ignition on.... re meter to rec coil, black meter to earth (coil mounting bracket screw).

Did not try cranking after after getting +12V when you suggested it'd be 9V.  Is getting +12V an issue in itself???

If not I guess that means its the leads or points, with points being the likely candidate (re my earlier note about this long-time stored motor having lots of dry oily buildup an all surfaces).

Will do a little reading up on how (leads are all screw-in on this era Merc from memory?) and have a go.

Cheers,
AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »

Well... first issue (and hopefully the reason for no spark and an easy fix)... the centre dist cap brush is snapped (see attached).

Hard to tell if I did it (all came apart with ease and nor forcing), or if it was already like this.  Inside the dist cap she's sparkly clean.

I cant see those bushes available on any of the main old Merc parts sites.  Do you think I'm up for sourcing a donor motor/distributor?

All that aside, can I just check... the points that I clean with emery paper (I have 1000 grit) are those two prongs and then the 6x tabs inside the dist cap?

Cheers,
AJ

* IMG_4026.JPG (111.1 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 261 times.)

* IMG_4027.JPG (133.42 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 280 times.)

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »

Hi Aaron,

12.45 volts is good.
Distributor cap brush is still available as a current Mercury part. Part number 393-1293A1. If you have a problem obtaining from a Mercury dealer send me a PM.

All Mercury distributor models use the same brush, including all 4 & 6 cyl models until they finished in the 70s, so you should be able to obtain one somewhere secondhand.

Mark S.
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »

Thanks Mark.

Looks like I can get new (or NOS) out of the USA for about $30 landed, but will see what the local dealer can do.

I'm crossing al my fingers and toes, that is what the no spark issue was.

A question on that... who do you guys use locally for Merc parts?  I am assuming someone must be the main Aust distributor and who all the mechanics buy off???

AJ

Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2016, 07:58:22 AM »

You can only buy Mercury parts from Mercury dealers. I get my Mercury parts from a Mercury dealer. Sometimes it pays to check parts locally for availability and price, before importing. I can help you with pricing and availability. If you need more help send me a PM.

The broken carbon is probably your issue. Pays to start with the simple things first. Those old Yank ignitions were good quality for their day.

Mark S.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2016, 11:11:58 AM »

My good friend Guy Hanson may have the part/s which you require. A few years back, Guy purchased all of the remaining stock held by Golden Seal Marine. Guy owns and operates The Outboard Workshop at Currum Downs. See: http://theoutboardworkshop.com.au/

Tell him I sent ya!

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »

Update...

I grabbed 15min  away from work and put the other motor (the one that has been siting on the back of Capricious) on the control and battery and she spins beautifully.
I squirted a little fuel with extra oil down the carbies first, and you could hear the cranking RMP lift very quickly over the first few cranks.
However, as per the other motor, no spark.
Possibly the same, easy to fix $20, issue in the distributor?

However, (hope you're all listening) I've decided I'm never going to do them any justice...

... With the Glastron's 1000SS giving me headaches, the Gastron itself with lots of issues (re floor rot and maybe transom), me missing out on fun on the water, the new (re old, circa 1975 ) house and garden I need to focus on renovating and new baby due in 5 weeks, I've decided I am going to flog the lot (Mercs, Glastron, parts, etc) and pool the funds to buy a better (I now know what to look for) 1970's toy. 

I'll put a post in the For Sale section once i work out how best to put them up for sale in a way that biasses you guys, makes it fair and so I get the best I can for them (i.e. for the next boat).

Stay tuned.
AJ

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »

You're going to flog Capricious?? ...oh no.

What will you describe her as being?!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2016, 07:09:44 PM »

Na, I'll keep Capricious.  She has about zero value to anyone, so no point selling her, and I'll just stick her in the yard for a rainy day.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: