logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2018, 09:12:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pair of 1961 Merc 700 Short Shafts  (Read 30153 times)
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »

second page

* IMG_0001_NEW.jpg (272.88 KB, 624x815 - viewed 312 times.)
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »

third page

* IMG_0002.jpg (283.58 KB, 654x835 - viewed 299 times.)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »

Great work. Thanks so much for posting those images.

I just heard back from the National Film Archive. Permission has been granted to have the doco transferred from film to video for me to come in an view. I'm now inquiring as to if and how I can get a copy I can then share with you guys and the family of Akronah's owner.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

Ok, another update.

The NFSA has given me the contact details of the person that holds the copyright over the doco. With their permission I can obtain a copy for my own use. Fingers crossed.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »

Update:

The copyright owner passed away last year, but his widow has given approval for me to get a copy for personal use (i.e. I can share with our boating community, but not broadcast it in any other manner).

The film is with their video lab being converted. Should be within the month.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »

Update:

The DVD is in the mail and I'll have it early next week!

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 07:52:06 AM »

Gang I got the documentary and its great.

However, my biggest disappointment is that when it was shot in 1963, they did not record actual sound. So every time one of the boats is in the shot there is this annoying little outboard motor sound effect that is NOT the twins. Gets really annoying!

Anyhow, I'm not sure how best to try and share it with you guys. I have to look into whether I can make copies. If not and you any of you are keen, we could do a pass the parcel via registered mail so long as it comes back around to me at some stage. Just an idea. Maybe I can get it on YouTube?

I grabbed a couple of interesting shots off the TV screen. The first is just a good shot of the Akoonah and the second boat, Crusader, in the background and the second is the best one I could get showing the weird stern end of the boat with inboard/outboards.

Another surprise was just how shallow and flat their hulls were at the stern. The narrator makes mention of bot hulls having been specifically build as to have a shallow draft for skimming over obstacles.

* IMG_0803.jpg (97.85 KB, 1000x747 - viewed 291 times.)

* IMG_0804.jpg (100.24 KB, 1000x747 - viewed 303 times.)

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »

That's exciting new Aaron.
A shame about the lack of sound though. Oh well..... Great shots off the TV. I can't wait to sit and watch the whole thing with you.
Are you back at work yet? I just tried to call you.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »

Hey Guy,
Just tried you too.
I went back on Tuesday (shoulder is 100%) but had a bit of a sniffle and a few aches'n'pains. In the end I over did my first day back (gym, long day, worked back late, etc) and pulled up really crook. I was probably heading this way anyhow, but have the flu (no not the man-flu), so am back off work and holed up at home YET AGAIN! Really over it.
AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »

Gang,

I just wanted to rehash this one as I have a tiny bit more info that MIGHT help someone out there help me.

As we know the boat was originally a 20ft Master built by Mariner Craft in Richmond (Melb) during or before 1963.  We also know she was extended, at the transom, by 3ft for the Murray River trip.

I was just doing a little more Googling (I mean procrastinating from working) and found an article on the Yachting Australia site (from a 1976 newsletter) that mentions Master Craft launching three F11 sail boats in 1964.  Its says the article was "by Alan Foster of Master Craft".

http://www.yachtingaustralia.com.au/?Page=16861&MenuID=About_F11@%5E039s/11720/0/?sp=10059-515140-flying11

Does that name ring a bell to anyone?

I've emailed Yachting Aust to ask if anyone there has further info.

Cheers,
AJ

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »

OK, so I had some spare time today.  We had our first open-house yesterday and all my boat/stuff is offsite for a few weeks other than one of the twins. 

Firstly, Guy, you'll be pleased to hear, post my attempt to jump start off the internal wiring, that with the right plug and forward control, the starter works just fine.

The motor turns over nicely.
I have a crappy compression tester and on some plug holes I could not get a good seal, but I got between 118-125 PSI across the board.  Very promising.
All ignition/carby linkages and moving parts were quite 'sticky' with old dry grease and oil, but just to test function, WD40 has it all moving nicely.
Even the pull cord spring freed up with decent and full recoil of the rope.
I suspect, knowing the history of the motors, that they were properly stored (fogged?) and that may explain what seems like a slight dry/sticky/oily coating on everthing.

The first issue is she wont fire as I have no spark (tested on No.1).
The two coils look pretty crusty it it looks like the two resistors may be falling apart (resin? holding terminals to ceramic park broken away but terminals and internal wires still look like they might be connected).

First dumb question, All else being OK, I assume if either of these (coils/resistors) are caput that would explain no spark.

If so, is there a ready source for replacements or are they Merc-specific?

Cheers,
AJ

oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2016, 07:46:49 AM »

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/mariner-cruiser/148756

Aaron, this looks similar.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »

G'day AJ,
Mark S is way better with high tension wiring than I am. Perhaps he will chime in on this one? A basic question, when you were jumping her direct to the starter, did you have the ignition key in the "on" position? Test every plug lead for spark, not just one.

Have you turned over your other motor to see if that one has a spark? If it has, you have a perfectly good set of spares sitting right beside the motor with no spark.

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 09:46:55 PM »

Ah... yes... I had already spotted that Mariner.  If it had have been an outboard and ripe for placement of my twins, I'de have maybe considered it.
If its in as good condition as it looks in the photos, I recon its a great price from a dealer.

Guy,
No, I have not tried the other 700 yet.  Its still sitting on the back of Capricous up in my dad's paddock (where she's be for a few years now).  All the boats and motors will be rejoining me once we move into the new place in July! Space at last!!!!
I have one of those little lighted spark plug testers coming in mail, so will do a bette test on all six leads once its here.
I never had the motor plugged in when I last tried to jump start it, as you'll recall, I never had a forward control with the right plug.  That probably explains it and just another novice mistake on my behalf ;-)

Cheers,
AJ

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »

AJ,
I reckon it's fairly unlikely your motors were fogged prior storage. Using that Yankie product certainly wasn't common practice at all in Australia. In fact, WD40 was very scarce in Australia in those days as well.
Resourceful people, including my Dad made their own version WD40 by mixing Kerosene and 2 stroke oil and spraying that in and around an outboard with the aid of a hand pumped fly spray device. Of course, they all claimed it gave the same results as WD40 at a fraction of the price! Although, it does make black Mercs look very glossy and new.  You would have loved to see the huge display of pretty colours it made on the surface of the water around the stern, every time you launched your boat.

MERCMAN.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: