logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 04:06:58 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pair of 1961 Merc 700 Short Shafts  (Read 31695 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 05:34:10 PM »

Andrew, The seller found the link for me, but only because I asked. They are now also amazed at the history they knew little of as their father talked little of his earlier exploits.

I think one would look great on Capricious, but I think you are being sarcastic!?

They will wait their turn... I want the 'twins' to stay together and Capricious has its more than ample 1967 Merc 650SS first in line.

bullshot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »

I must say that pair of engines would look very nice on my 15ft powercat Grin Grin
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »

A question.

As the motors are free and gear select functioning, I thought I'd chuck them in neutral and put some power to the starters to see if they would turn.

I ran jumpers (from the running car) to the pos and neg terminals at the side of the starter.

With both motors the starters spun freely, but neither starter gear lifted up to engage with the engine flywheel.

Is this due to how I jumped them, or could it be the starters need some freeing up (or are cactus)?

Aaron.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 12:07:32 PM »

I have two questions Aaron..
Are your Jumper Leads at least 100amp?
Have you tried to twist and lift the starter cog by hand?
The shaft may have surface rust.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »

Leads, no idea. Just your basic type.
Lifting no, have not pulled the top cowl off yet, which is needed to access the top of the motor.

Will leave it for another day rather than make yet more mess in the workshop. Too many things on the go at once now!!!

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

Check this workmanship out http://newsblogg.viztech.se/2011/04/13/kiekhaefer-mercury-merc-1000-1962/

Took me a bit to work out they were not real.

The designer has some crazy boats designs that are modern, but with classic styling.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »

They had me fooled for a moment too.
How clever are they?? Cool Good find Aaron.
Sadly, the Merc 1000 was never built in Cloud White! They look real good, never the less. I wonder why they were created with left hand S/S props? Funny that!
A little more perfection on some minor details (Screws, nuts, bolts, water pick ups, thumb screws etc, etc) and you could be fooled in to thinking they are real.

Did you see all the stuff here as well? http://www.viztech.se/
A lot of this is real, of course!,

MERCMAN.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:23:43 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »

Having test fired one of 1964 650SS twins (http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=2144.0) I thought I'd have another go at the 700's.

I can't wire them the same as the 650 as they have a different wiring harnes plug and the forward control cables won't work.

So I tried, what I think is, a simlar wiring setup (direct, bypassing the loom plug)

1) battery - to - on starter
2) battery + to + on starter
3) second cable from battery + to touch + on starter solenoid.

With this configuration the starter spins, but does not lift up and engage the motor.

I think I am jumping it right, but could it be that my very cheep jumper leads are just not allowing enough amps from the battery?

Note: When I started the 650SS I did not use my jumpers, but used the proper forward control +/- cables which are significantly larger gauge wire than my jumpers.

Help me our chaps as I am desperate to see if these 700s will fire!!!

Cheers,

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »

From what I understand from your post Aaron, you don't have a Control Box connected at all??

Sure, you are getting "Crank" but the way I see it, no ignition without a Control Box and key, with me?

Run a (+) wire form the battery to each of the positives of the Coils. This will give you ignition. You'll have to remove this wire to stop her.
Also, don't leave this (+) wire connected longer than 30 seconds without the motor cranking or running. There is a possibility you could cook a Coil.

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »

Hey Guy,

Yes, I have no control box/cables for these. Remember they have the funny loom plug configuration which does not match to any of the 4 control/cable sets  Cool I have.

And No I am getting crank.  The starter motors spinning in place, but not lifting up and engaging with the fly wheel.  Its like there just isn't enough power getting to it.  On the 1964's I'm getting awesome crank with the same 600CCA battery.

This morning I ditched the cheapy 100Amp jumpers for 400Amp jumpers. Same result.

Like I said, theoretically I am wiring it the same as the 64's (and they crank just fine), but just doing it by bypassing the use of a forward control cable.

I'm not 100% sure what you are suggesting re wiring (need a visual), so when I get done with my landscaping chores, I'll post a photo of how I'm wiring it.

gusto

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »

Hi Aaron
Sometimes the solinoid can become sticky over time not being used. Try just powering the solinoid up and you should at least hear it trying to engage(-ve to motor +ve to the solinoid only). If you can hear it try and pry it out if you can or a gentle tap with a hammer on the outside of starter to free it out.

THe wiring mercman is talking about is to power the coils up like having the ignition on. You will have to do this once u get the starter working in order for the engine to have spark and start.
Chris
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »

Chris,
Had a look at the starters (in place) with my bro-in-law tonight. The little gear on top of the start, certainly does freely lift when you reach up and turn it. But it does seem to stop short of reaching the fly wheel.

gusto

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »

That's a bit wired obviusly it is ment to go all the way up and at one time it would have for it to work. You may have to pull the starter out and work out what's going on.
Chris
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »

Amazingly, I just had an email come in from the lady I got the twins off (daughter in-law of the original owner).

She found a few images of "Aroonah" (yes, another iteration of the name).

She has issues with scanning them, they are blurry, only partly scanned and I have asked if she could have another go... but for now I give you...

How damn cool it that!? I finally get to see the boat, and look how shiny the twins were back then!!!

Anyone able to ID her model? I know she's a Mariner cabin cruiser and 20ft with extended stern to 23ft.

Aaron
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:58:30 PM by AaronJ » Logged

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »

Real Cool Cool Cool..
The Engineer appears to be about to give the Port motor a Service Grin.
My 850 was sold by a Merc Dealer in Albury. I wonder if it's the same one?
From what I can make out so far, the vessel looks alot like a Chris Craft to me. It will be interesting to see better Scans, as you say Arron.

MERCMAN.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: