logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2018, 03:19:27 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pair of 1961 Merc 700 Short Shafts  (Read 29550 times)
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »

Ok Team, here they are.

They are not sequentially numbered, but are only 15 units apart (A1415707 and A1415722).

They are identical in every aspect accept one. The gearbox casing..... One has the water pickups in the usual place on the sides of the gearbox. The other has the pickup in the cathode (A1415707), which I have never seen before? The one with the cathode pickups has no lower oil drain (i.e the one that is on the front left of most other gearboxes form that period. Strange?

I have not fiddled yet and the stand is to flimsy to apply any pressure, but neither will tilt and one will not swivel. However, both have prop/engine rotation and both spin nicely when the cord is pulled. So that's better than my 67 650ss which is stuck as this stage.

Here you go:

Other than that they look very clean but have obviously been sitting for many years.

The lady I bought it from said they belonged to her partner's father (who had them stored and had owned them since new). She reckons up to 40 years, but they have definitely been well used and most screws and bolt heads took to have been played with at some stage. But there are loads of really badly rusted nuts, bolts and other things and salt water tell-tails such as sand throughout.

Now I just need to decide, do I work on one of these or keep to the first plan of the 67 650ss for Capricious. Fun, fun. fun....

Cheers, Aaron.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »

They are certainly very aesthetic, aren't they?

Judging by how much time you've been spending on your boat, you must have a very understanding partner!

Just spent the arvo churning around in a brisk northerly  with the trusty old Hartley/starflite dragging the kids on a donut. The sound of these old motors is so much better than the new 4 strokes!

Keep up the piccies- they are great.

A
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »

Still they look amazin
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:34:26 PM »

You should see how GREEN I am right now.

Great score mate. Cool Cool Cool Cool

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »

Andrew, I spend less time that it may seem, so keep my partner happy enough. I think she actually likes that she gets a break from me when I head to the workshop ;-)

Managed to free up both the gear selector and throttle (all heavily bolt rusted at the main pivot points, and with pretty dried up grease on others) and both are working with gear selection. I reckon there's and outside chance these might even fire up (will get advise from those more Merc-in-the-know before I try that one).

Aaron.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:05:37 AM »

And... they have been a matching pair earlier in their life. I found "port" and "star b" on the inside of each wrap-around cowl and identical Parkview Marine decals on the top cowl (see pics). So at some point they were serviced together and together on the back of something! Trust me to find stumble across another mystery ;-)

bote-bote

Savage Pursuit XV - keeping it simple

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »

Wow! If I owned those I'd have to come up with a system that enabled me to store them in the lounge room  (one each side of the fire place) ... Then I'd build a roof track so that I could quickly slide them out thru the front window and drop them  them on a hull similar to Mercman's profile shot- ready for when ever I felt the need for a short blast!...this is the kind of thing you think about when you only have a hull half sanded... Sensational!
Wayne Grin

wayne
AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »

Now you're talking Wayne (a Powercat that is).

Not sure my partner (as tolerant and entertaining of my hobbies and obsessions as she is) would go for a pair of Mercs in the lounge ;-)

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »

And... they have been a matching pair earlier in their life. I found "port" and "star b" on the inside of each wrap-around cowl and identical Parkview Marine decals on the top cowl (see pics). So at some point they were serviced together and together on the back of something! Trust me to find stumble across another mystery ;-)

The moment I set eyes on those beauties I felt they had spet their life together.
The chances of finding two seperate motors of that vintage and in basically the same condition is next to nil, otherwise.
Maybe it could happen in the States but not out here, as the tarrif on outboards had only been lifted for one year when those were pair born (woops, I mean built).

Iv'e certainly seen the two types of water pick ups but not on that model. Bootlegger has a white Merc with the pick ups in the trim tab as well (I think it's a 700). I'll have to take a snap of his entire motor and try and then try and put the real story together for all of us. Did you get the controls? if not, don't despair. When they were first on ebay not only did Slowpoke tell me about the motors,  I received two emails from Merc geeks I regularly communicate with in the USA as well. I feel quite sure we can dig up controls for them as well.

Come to think of it, Chair and I know a fellow in Gelong who may even have controls??

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:15:34 PM »

Nope... no controls and any leads are greatly appreciated. Needless I'll be continuing my scanning of the Ebay and other sources as well.

Also need to track down a suitable hull some time between now and completing Capricious.

I did some searching on the web for this year 700 and I would say the results were about 50:50 for the two types of water pickup on 61's. There are other subtle differences in the gearbox casings too. Sing out if you want me to take photos showing them.

Aaron.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 07:05:19 AM »

Well... seek and yee shall find...

These motors were on a S.A. Coast Guard Auxiliary cruiser "Akoonah" which did a cruise of the Murray River in 1963.

"Akroonah a 20 foot Mariner cabin cruiser, plywood construction, with twin 70 H.P. Mercury engines and extended stern, also giving a total length of 23 feet. Cost of Akroonah" - £3,000".

All the fascinating info (including heaps of reports on the Mercs) is here: http://svc125.wic018v.server-web.com/archives/albury/index.html

Any of you guys that have been in boating since back then remember or know anything about this?

To add to this I have been advised the boat is currently "a pile of timber in a Balwyn backyard". I am currently waiting to hear if that is literally or figuratively!

Aaron.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »

Correction... Vic Coast Guard:

""Operation Albury", the River Murray Trip, a cruise from Talangatta to Goolwa was undertaken by three twenty foot cruisers, 'Akroonah', 'Crusdaer' and FV59 belonging to members from Victorian Coast Guard Auxiliary, Commodore Ted Madden, and Rear Commodore Weston-Smith who set out from Albury in August 1963."

They were then joined by S.A. baots.

Not sure if one of these two is Akahoona:

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »

This now confirms my earlier theory.
Just after I had the hunch that they were twins at an early age, I started pondering on the apparent gear case differences. The gear case with the water pickups in the trim tab is the original gear case. You'll also note that it has many more scars that the other gear case with the water pick ups in the side.  The side water pick ups came out in a later model.
I propose: The motor with the later model gear case had suffered major damage toward the end of the Murray River run and the entire gear case had to be repalced and it was replaced with a new gear case, current at that time.

Your two motors were not exactly "brand new" when the Murray run was completed. This is clearly evident by the age of the motor (1963) in the photo in the above post. 

MERCMAN.

AaronJ
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »

All true on the age thing. In addition I have not yet been able to work out the age of Akoonah either, but may have a lead on a photo of it on Lake Hume at the start of the Murray Trip (the above is Gideon and the other S.A. boat who’s' name escapes me).

No mention of a terminal gearbox issues in the captain’s log, so maybe it happened before or after the trip. There is however plenty of log entries talking about snags and floating objects causing plenty of prop issues and damage.  Either way I think your proposal is the most likely explanantion and maybe the damage was not found until after the trip.

It seems (from the owner's son) Akoonah was dry docked in a backyard in around 1965 and may have never moved again. The unfortunate thing.... it is confirmed she was a 'literal' pile of timber in that same back yard in recent times and is now officially gone for good with the sale of that house. Very sad.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »

Amazed that you managed to find a link between your motors and that trip!

Also interested at the similarity of Akoonah to a Hartley . Can't get my head around "dry-docking" a boat of that caliber/expense for long enough to let it become a pile of timber! Wouldn't you be tempted to use it at some time???

Anyway, your Merc already look fantastic . Bad luck they won't look any good on Capricious!

A
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: