logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 05:53:41 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapman outboard  (Read 5483 times)
Eric Schulz

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »

Does anyone know if Chapman & Sherack or Blaxland Rae ever built an outboard motor? It has been suggested that they did. Does this just belong in the myths and legends department?

Eric

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »

According to an article I have, entitled "The Putt Putt King" ( I'll send you a copy Eric .Very interesting.) when John Forrest worked for Chapman/Sherack from 1928 on,he was wanting to take home outboards that had been traded-in and work on them to improve their performance. Chapman woul'nt let him and instesd was told to hold the outboards on an anvil and a bloke called Sigsworth smashed them up with a 7 lb sledgehammer . Chapman believed in wrecking them rather than than selling them and have them traded in again and again.
I therefore doubt that Chapman/Sherack ever manufactured outboards .
Roger Sherack (grandson) has posted on the OME site .You might ask him ?
The things that happen to vintage outboards  Sad
Neil

Hard a' starboard
Eric Schulz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »

I have a copy of that article, and had not looked at it for a long time. It does suggest that Chapman was not an outboard enthusiast!
Your suggestion about the grandson is worth following up. Thanks.

Eric
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »

Yes , it was not a good sign . I sent you that article but obviously you have it .'Tis good .
I have also been in contact with his ( John Forrest's) grandson , now in Brisbane.
I'll send you the two Email addresses of Sherack and Forrest .
We can then communicate directly or through Old Marine Engines and take this cast iron stuff off this site ,unless they did make outboards Grin
Regards Neil

Hard a' starboard
Eric Schulz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »

Problem solved. I have come across an ad for a 4.5hp Blaxland outboard. It's a poor quality photocopy, but probably lawn mower engine powered.
So, Blaxland Rae, not Chapman & Sherack. They may not even have made it, just put their name on it.

Eric
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:17:17 PM »

Thats a nice find .Quite remarkable in fact !
We may be able to keep this line of questioning open .
There was a fellow , Bob Halfpenny who had Blaxland/Rae under St.George Motors Arncliffe  , Sydney , in the late 80's.
I'll see if iI can follow that track.
Neil

Hard a' starboard
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »

It is with great regret that I have to inform you that I was outbid on the Ebay sale of the Blaxland Rae Outboard !!!
As above ,there was some earlier discussion as to whether these motors were ever made.
Chapman/Sherack-Blaxland Rae were the builders of the famous inboard putt putt motors of which I have a few.
You will note that from previous posts that Mr Chapman did not like the threat of outboards so he had them broken up on trade -in.
However it appears Blaxland (also the name of my new Airedale puppy) was oblidged to compete at some stage.
Gee it went for a song.
See attached Cry

Neil

* img066.jpg (91.44 KB, 415x640 - viewed 439 times.)

Hard a' starboard
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 06:12:46 PM »

Evidence of manufacturer .

* img065.jpg (61.17 KB, 600x480 - viewed 384 times.)

Hard a' starboard
Eric Schulz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »

Not being an outboard authority, I can't say who made the leg for the Blaxland outboard, but the engine is, without doubt, a Hurricane. That rib around the crankcase where the two halves join is a dead giveaway. The rest of the engine matches too.

Eric
AusF233
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »

G'day guys. long time member, first time poster.

I hope you don't mind that I've brough this thread back to life, but under the circumstances i think it's more appropriate to do that than to start a new thread.

A short while back I purchased an Australian Hurricane outboard that is identical in every respect to the one pictured above, albeit branded Hurricane not Blaxland. This is a very rare animal indeed. All reseach so far suggests Hurricane produced many outboards with their 125 engines, a much smaller number with their 180 & 185A (185A had an intergrated aluminium head and cylinder with sleave), and only a smal handfull with their water-cooled model 200. If you look closely at the 'Blaxland' pictured above, you can actually see the pipe which transfers water from the exhaust tube to the bottom of the cylinder.

Anyway, the Hurricane I have was purchased incomplete and with some mods. It is missing fuel tank and recoil starter (in fact everything related from the WICO flywheel up) and has had the gearbox replaced with a generic unit found on Elgin, Scott, McCulloch etc from the US 'grafted' by it's previous owner.

Needless to say, I would like to bring this back to original condition and would appreciate your help to do that. What I need is;

1. Help locating an old Hurricane 'parts' mower (or outboard). Through this I hope to be able to sort the issue of the missing fuel tank and starter mechanisim.
2. Help to identify the gearbox/prop fitted to the 'Blaxland' outboard pictured above. I will post some better photos in the next day or so.

Any help and/or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Board member Collector Inspector is already on the job, but I though I'd ask for your help also.

Pics and maybe a rebuild thread to follow.

Regards,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: